When it comes to prepping for your engagement shoot, there are a few things that I think will help you get the most out of your experience. As a Seattle engagement photographer, I always work with my clients to prep them for their experience based on the time of year, location and what they ultimately want out of their shoot. Here are my best tips and tricks for prepping for your engagement session.
1. Plan outfits ahead of time! There is nothing worse than feeling rushed because you don’t know what to wear or that thing you wanted to wear is now in the laundry pile. Make sure the outfits you choose represent who YOU are. My couples always bring 2 outfits, one cozy, and one more formal. Make sure your clothing items are flattering, ironed and well thought out. Between you and your partner, you don’t want to “match” you want to be “cohesive”. No one needs to come showing up as twins 😉
2. Consider professional hair and makeup (brides, do your hair and makeup trial the same day as your shoot). It’s a fun way to not only get a great trial run with your HMUA for your wedding but then you are perfectly glammed for engagement session! Be sure to look over at my details page for my favorite makeup artists!
3. Location, location, location. You aren’t going to get epic PNW landscapes in your backyard…unless you live on a mountain. It’s always good to do a little bit of extra stalking online and find where you’d like you photos to be. I personally have a list of go-to places for all my couples and some extra fun spots for those willing to venture a little bit further!
4. Think about the time of day for what vibes you want. As a photographer, my preference gravitates towards an evening shoot when the sun is low to the horizon and we get all that amazing golden light. But! Maybe you and your soon-to-be life partner love the morning time? That’s perfect! And if you’re unsure, drop me a line and we can talk about how light will impact you at your location!
5. You’ll feel awkward and that’s okay. When in doubt, kiss. Love on each other. Imagine your on a romantic date…and I, as your photographer, just happen to be your third wheel. Honestly if I had a penny for every time someone told me “I’m so bad at taking pictures” or “I don’t know what to do with my hands”….I would be a gazillionaire and not talking to you now. It’s 10000000% okay to be just who you are, it’s my job to capture the best of you.
If you need more inspo for your Seattle engagement session, head over to my page completely dedicated to showing you some of the best engagement shoots from past seasons!